Recognizing the important role of the alumni in the life of the university, the University of the Philippines (UP) established the Office of Alumni Relations (OAR) in 1961 under the Office of the President. The OAR serves as the key UP institution connecting the alumni with the rest of the academic community.
Since its inception, the OAR has sought to encourage the maximum participation, involvement, support, and commitment of the alumni to the University of the Philippines’ various social missions. It remains the primary link between the University and its Alumni Association (UPAA) in identifying, cultivating, and involving the alumni in institutional and alumni programs, events, and activities. It also represents the UP and the UPAA at institutional and alumni programs, events, and activities both locally, on and off-campus, and foreign venues whenever possible.
The strategic mission of the OAR is to broaden and deepen connections and interactions between the University and its alumni community. It aims to achieve by:
- Ensuring quality service for the UP and its alumni;
- Actively promoting a positive image of the UP to its alumni, maintaining the loyalty, goodwill, and support of the alumni to the University’s programs and projects; and
- Encouraging, facilitating, and enhancing professional and social networking between UP, UPAA, and friends.
The OAR serves the University and its alumni community by
- Developing and maintaining the alumni records and website;
- Organizing various activities that recognize alumni achievements;
- Coordinating and assisting the UPAA in homecomings and reunions, raising funds for scholarships, professional chairs, and faculty grants; and
- Organizing activities between networking with alumni chapters and friends and assisting Alumni Institutes.
UP alumni interested in giving to or simply just reconnecting with UP may start by linking up with the OAR. The OAR is currently headed by Assistant Vice-President and Director Ranjit Singh Rye and can be reached by phone (929-8226/981-8500 local 4251 or 4252) or by email at [email protected] or [email protected]. To learn more about the OAR and its various services for the alumni, please visit its website at http://alum.up.edu.ph.